Trace Metal, Solute and Isotopic, and Organic Geochemical Analysis and Modeling
HGG understands the critical and often-overlooked roles of trace metal, inorganic and organic constituent, and stable and radiogenic isotope geochemistry (groundwater ages) in fully evaluating groundwater flow systems.
HGG personnel are internationally recognized experts in analyzing and modeling geochemical data. We integrate geochemical information with physical flow system and other data to fully characterize groundwater flow systems, surface-groundwater interactions, natural and human-induced groundwater chemical evolution, and surface and groundwater contamination. Using such state-of-the-art analytical tools as ROCKJOCK, SAGE, NETPATH, PHREEQC, and the Geochemist Workbench, HGG has worldwide experience providing our clients with practicable and cost-effective solutions to ground and surface waters problems in a wide range of geologic environments. Our experience includes a wide range of environments: saline water and brine; acid and non-acid leachate from surface and underground hard rock mines; phosphate, evaporite and coal mines; oil and natural gas fields; landfills; leaky impoundments; industrial plant discharges; sewage treatment facilities; geothermal groundwater; and metal and organic contaminated aquifers. We customize sampling programs to ensure that the right mix of solute and isotopic data are collected and fully analyzed to meet our clients' needs.
HGG has extensive experience using geochemistry to solving a wide range of client problems:
- Aquifer identification
- Flow path evolution and analysis
- Groundwater mixing
- Groundwater origin analysis
- Artificial recharge
- Evaporation pond and canal leakage
- Forensic hydrogeology
- Forensic geochemistry associated with legacy mining, milling and smelting sites
- Acid rock drainage (ARD) and other mining-influenced waters
- Waste rock characterization program design and ARD prediction
- Landfill evaluation
- Mine permitting and regulatory compliance
- Dating of groundwater using Carbon-14 (14C), tritium (3H), CFC, and U-Series
- Nitrogen contamination including the application of stable nitrogen isotopes (δ15N)
- Aquifer characterization using stable isotopes (δ2H and δ18O)
- Sulfate and sulfide contamination including the application of stable sulfur isotopes (δ34S)
- Metal contamination: Al, As, Ba, Cd, Cr, Cu, Co, Fe, Hg, Pb, Li, Mo, Ni, Ag, Zn etc.
- Non-metal contamination: acids, NH4, Bo, Cl, Cy, F, NO3, P, Se, SO4
- Radionuclide contamination: U, Ra
- Organic compound contamination including extractable and volatile organic compounds
- Oversight of and interaction with commercial laboratories
- Design of inter-laboratory QA/QC programs
- Design, construction and operation of custom testing and simulation apparatus and procedures for mobilization, attenuation and reactivity studies
- Design and construction of custom down-hole water sampling devices
- Conduct specialty field investigations to litigation support and forensic studies.